Rachel In England

Postings by Miss Peters on her Progress across the Pond

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I am not homeless!

Good news! I have a place to live. It's a big room with a huge window onto the street. There are 4 others in the house right now. The kitchen is ok, but a bit messy. There is a couple couches and a TV. Everyone seems nice, although there is rarely anyone around.





The bad news is that there are so many things that I never realized I would have to buy. It looks like I'll have to buy a few dishes and pots, but not things like a kettle, toaster, etc. As well, it's tough cooking without a cutting board, sugar, oil, etc. so all of those little things have been adding up. And it's next to impossible to do laundry without detergent. So it has been humbling and expensive getting set up and stocked up. But I suppose this comes with the territory.

So today, because there is still no work (hopefully tomorrow or Friday), Martha and I decided to check out the local botanical gardens. Wow. Unbelievable. Indoor tropical greenhouses, evergreen forests, bird atriums, water gardens, stone garden, bedding plant displays. It was acres and acres of beauty. And a beautiful day to boot. Here are some pics.











Things are becoming normal and comfortable here, although I miss home very much. (mom knows that!). I am eager to start teaching to make money and get into the swing of things. There are about four of us who keep in touch everyday and help each other out, and cook dinner together, so that is good. Thanks for all of the emails, I will try to get back to all of them asap.

Rachel

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Rachel. Thanks for all the neat pics! Glad you stumbled onto a Vineyard. Vineyard churches have been a key part of a significant revival in England in recent years -- primarily through their worship events and music writing. Blessings. Looking forward to a report on the first classroom experience. Met some folks from Birmingham recently. Their stories about Birm revved up my prayer for you!

10:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rach!

You have a place to live!! That's awesome. I'm sure things are feeling a lot more comfortable now. And I'm glad to see you have a big room, so there will be space for me when i come visit you (it's gonna happen!) Enjoy your time exploring the city and meeting tons of neat people, and good luck as you start teaching :)

11:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that last comment was from me btw...

11:19 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey take lots of pictures of all the blokes that you go out with. I'm curious to see your suitors.

Have Fun!

11:33 a.m.  
Blogger Paul and Yolanda Koole said...

Hey Rach,
I just finished my first teaching practicum, and started to think about the fact that you are already a 'teacher'! It seems like not long ago we were learning all the 'theory' at Brock that you get to now put into practice. You'll have to let me know how it goes...relief/supply work can be really stressful or really amazing. I'm looking forward to the update after your first day! I Know that you'll be a wonderful teacher, as you have a natural gift with people. Its weird not being at Teacher's college together, I always thought we would, but it is great that we both got to go to our dream place in the world! I love seeing all the pictures of where you are, its a cool way to keep in touch!
Keep the updates coming!
YO

1:04 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Rachel!

Great blog! I love your photos. The gardens look gorgeous. I hope you continue to have a good time settling into your new home.

10:11 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember, Brian, that Mom can see all your comments, too!! All those blokes???

7:43 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rach, when you get to Stratford, go see a play at the Swan! When you get to Oxford, have a pint in the "Bird and Baby" (Tolkien and Lewis' hang out). Oh how I love Oxford and the Radcliffe Camera. Your city looks gorgeous as well.
Cheers.

2:44 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home