Rachel In England

Postings by Miss Peters on her Progress across the Pond

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

How do you spell isosceles?

Well...not much has been going on lately. So I thought I'd share some things that make me laugh everyday as I teach little British kids. Teaching really makes you conscious of the things you don't know. Like how to spell isosceles. I'm pretty sure this week I have put isosoles, isoceles, iscoseles and isosceles on the board. I'm pretty good with spelling, but that one has never stuck.

The hardest is trying to remember that England is not Canada, and words I use at home are interpreted differently. For example, when I ask the students to 'quickly get your shirts and pants off' for PE, to them literally means, 'get your shirts and underwear off'. Hmm...pants = underwear....got it. Also, I have to remember that they do handwriting differently than home. So the kids thought they were to write the words enase, ellow, and elony, rather than erase, elbow and ebony. it's crazy i tell you.

Oh...and apparently, holding two fingers up with the backs toward someone is equivalent to the finger.....as I was informed by the head teacher at my school when I asked her if I was teaching Year 2 tomorrow. She said, 'yes, but i hope you don't do that to them' when she saw my hand. Oops.

These and other things occur daily and make me laugh. Sometimes it's so hard to keep a straight face and pretend you know everything, when it's so hilarious. Like, how am I meant to teach Tudor history and British geography. I do a lot of google searches. And why must they call a trapezoid a trapezium here. Keeps me on my toes anyways.

That's it for now. I am thinking of you who are in teacher's college and in placements right now. Stick with it. Work hard now, it'll pay off. And a word to the wise. Figure out the classroom management strategies that work for you. It's worth it.

Rachel

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like that would be a lot of laughs along the way, trying to get culturally aquanted and all. They probably think you're weird. I'm glad to hear things are well. Talk to you later Rachel.

9:26 p.m.  
Blogger Paul and Yolanda Koole said...

Hey Rach, it all reminds me of the time when I corrected a little girl's spelling of the word "mum". I thought that she simply had poor spelling, but as it turns out, Kiwi's actually spell it that way ;) oops. How embarassing. You'll get used to all the funny differences. I'm also finding it weird to think that I'll have to re-adjust again when I get home. It will be strange to try to remember that we eat candy and not "lollies"! haha
Enjoy all of those moments that make you laugh...it'll keep you going! Yolanda

3:49 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rach

It's actually great to hear about your language challenges. We're not the only ones. There is such a huge learning curve in learning about another culture! Keep laughing! Thinking about you and praying for you.

10:17 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the tips to the future teachers! (BTW- NEVER say fanny pack-EVER!)

3:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home