Rachel In England

Postings by Miss Peters on her Progress across the Pond

Sunday, March 11, 2007

At the Foot of the Cross


At the foot of the cross
Where grace and suffering meet
You have shown me Your love
Through the judgment You received
And You've won my heart
Yes, You've won my heart
Now I can
Trade these ashes in for beauty
And wear forgiveness like a crown
Coming to kiss the feet of mercy
I lay every burden down
At the foot of the cross

At the foot of the cross
Where I am made complete
You have given me life
Through the death you bore for me
And You've won my heart
Yes, You've won my heart

Lyrics by Kathryn Scott

I am aware of the length of time still to pass before Easter, yet my heart seems to have stumbled into thoughts of contemplation and wonder even earlier than I had expected. I often find myself quite reflective and full of thought around the Easter season as I anticipate focussing on the cross. Today at church was a gut wrencher felt earlier in the season than usual. Some of the deepest parts of me have been brought to light when thinking about who I am, what I as a mere human really deserve, and the extent Christ went through to give me what I do not deserve. Although most of us have heard this before, I urge you, dare I say beg us all, as Easter draws near, to pause, no to stop and reconsider, or consider for the first time what OUR response to Jesus will be. How do we respond to the one who came not to condemn, but to rescue us from our guilt, fear, hurt, selfishness, lonliness, addiction, anger and every one of our sins.

We can be free and forgiven. Hallelujah.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How will I respond? My ususal response, when refreshed by the gospel, is a common one of mine. I feel compeled or even driven to change. I have a desire to have a REAL relationship of pure intimacy with my maker. Shortly after times are sweet and beautiful, and times are what I may call good, but do I change? I know I should. I know he's calling me to change. In fact, he's calling me to become one who is so devoted to him and the gospel, that I would change. He's calling me to leave my selfcentred way of life and fully sacrifice myself at the foot of the cross. The one who wants all of me, and not just part of me as is my usual "sacrifice". My prayer is that I would respond by sacrificing myself daily.

6:51 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel, like you I find myself very
reflective at this special season
of the year.The death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior
Jesus Christ for me, 'demands my soul, my life, my all" Your message was a real blessing to me.
Grandma.

9:01 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Rachel. I wrote just last night, "Nothing of my life rooted in anything but You -- not in any values, in any personal dreams, in any other relationship. All things organised around You alone and within the ways that You want me to promote Your purposes." It came as He graciously revealed my self-serving tendencies, and simultaneously led me to rest in His love. Blessings, friend. Trust Him without reservation, nothing held back. That's entirely gain for you and great pleasure for Him!

10:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of Christ's sacrifice. Sometimes I get so caught up in the daily grind or with my own worries that I forget what Christianity is truly about--God's Supreme Grace and the transformation of lives for Christ.

2:53 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home